To: "W9HAK" <W9HAK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: {Collins} 75S1 S-Meter not Sensitive after S-8

Actually, the 100 microvolts for S-9 included a "matching pad" for the 50-ohm input of the receivers. This "matching pad" introduced 6 dB loss which meant that 50 microvolts were actually applied to the receiver. During the period of time when the A-Line receivers were manufactured, and well into the manufacturing period of the S-Line equipment, most of the commonly available signal generators did not present a true 50-ohm load. As such, a 6 dB pad was used to match the variable impedance output of the signal generators to a 50-ohm load. There were also pads available to match the impedance to a 75-ohm load.

Signal generators like the Measurements Model 65 and Model 80, a number of the military signal generators like the URM-25 series and TS-497 series, and a number of signal generators manufactured by others all had "matching pads" available.

When signal generators became available that had a true 50-ohm impedance, then the "matching pad" was no longer needed and the applied voltage for S-9 was 50-microvolts.

The standard for S-9 = 50-microvolts was introduced by the RME (now IEEE) in the mid 1930s.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com