From: Jerry <jsternmd@xxxxxxx>
To: oldradio <oldradio@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'collins List' <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Dec 8, 2012 7:57 pm
Subject: Re: {Collins} Collins desk at the 1964 NY World's Fair?

Hi John,
Now my memory isn't as good these days but I recall the 1964 NY World's Fair
panning two summer seasons, i.e., it went into 1965.  I visited and operated
here a few times as WB2ORJ my original callsign.  In the beginning there were
o Collins radios and I recall it was all Hallicrafters... in fact I still have
 K2US QSL card from 1964 and on the back it has printed the operating stations
s:
HT-32B, HT-33B and SX-115
T-44, HT-45 and SX-117
T-32B, HA-2 or HA-6 and SX-115
I believe it was in 1965 that Collins felt left out of such a display of US
echnology so they donated the S-Line gear.  I never got a chance to use the
ollins gear because the line of hams out the back of the Coca-Cola pavilion was
lways too long for my folks or friends to wait for me.  One thing I do recall
nd I'm not sure to this day why it was there but every time I visited K2US I
ecall the strong smell of ozone at the back of the Coke Pavilion on the way to
oor of K2US.   One of my first triple thriller moments was with K2US -
imultaneously I had my first "mobile" , first 6m and first AM contact with K2US
n Queens, NY.  My buddies and I had a new Heath Six'er and car battery with a
alo mounted on a supermarket shopping cart on a hilltop in the Bronx (NY)
otanical Gardens about a mile from my home.  Now that was what ham radio was
bout hi.
Congrats on the desk grounding and additional ground rods.  My shack location in
he family room basement is much too far for running all the radios to a single
F ground point.  All my vintage gear has been upgraded to 3 wire line cord and
 have all my radio chassis' grounded to each other, e.g. each station Rcvr,
mtr, Linear.  I never have any ground loops or RF in the shack and I run QRO
requently.  I guess I am just lucky.
73 Jerry
1JOS