To: <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2012 8:34 AM
Subject: {Collins} 75A-4 Issues - Hum V13 DC filament

WARNING: Those that abhor modifications to BA gear - quick, leave now!

Bob,

I have struggled to eliminate 60/120Hz hum from
my 75A-4 (SN#2887 W3HM restored), which was
exasperated after I recapped the AF stages with
0.1uF caps in the audio chain to improve the low
end fidelity, and the negative feedback mods to
lessen audio distortion. I have moved wires
carrying AC around the chassis, shielded and
relocated the AC switch leads, all to no avail.

The problem turned out to be AC filament pickup
in the first audio stage (12AX7 v13). No amount
of swapping tubes cured it. As one of the members
noted, the AF chain has tremendous gain. I
finally converted the filament supply for that
tube to DC, and all my struggles went away.

Email me for a schematic of my mod. Note: I run
the filament closer to 5.5VDC to compensate for
the RMS power when on 6.3VAC. The mod is done on
terminal strips stood up on hex spacers screwed
into the IF screws, making it easily reversible.

73 Bill N4LG