I've often wondered how many hams have, and use, the U-3. I know senator Barry Goldwater had one at his home QTH in Arizona back then.

P.S. Please don't ask me any technical question on any of this...My God, do you know how long ago that's been? Thirty years ago, and I taught so many pieces of ground radio equipment (22 years worth) that they all seem to get blurred in my old age. It's about all I can do to keep up with the S-line. And that's because I see it every day. Hi

Jim N5MSJ

On 12/9/2012 4:32 PM, Gerry Block wrote:
Glen, I think that all sounds right.. as far as I know went to the Aussies..

I like autotune.  I'm supposed to be retired.  If I was, my 208U-3 would be
working...

Gerry

________________________________
From: Glen Zook <gzook@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Gerry Block <gblock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "oldradio@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<oldradio@xxxxxxxxxxx>; collins List <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, December 9, 2012 9:24:49 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} Was there a Collins desk at the 1964 NY World's Fair?

There were either 3, or 4, 30S-3 amplifiers built.  Some of the people involved
say 3 while others say 4.  One of those was owned by the late Joe Johnson,
W5QBM, who lived across the golf course from me.  Joe had been in the sales
department at Collins Radio.  I don't know if Joe had a son.  If so, that
particular 30S-3 may have been the one that you saw.  Joe was retired from
Collins Radio because of a bad heart.  We buried him on his 50th birthday.  I
was one of the pallbearers at his funeral.

Joe had modified his 30S-3 with a switch to disable the auto-tune function
because that feature would try to follow the changing load when the linear was
used on SSB.  The auto-tune was used when tuning up but was then disabled when
actually operating.

I have always wondered where that particular 30S-3 went!

Glen, K9STH

Website: http://k9sth.com