Re: {Collins} Paint matching

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Agreed, many things can affect final color or sheen besides the paint itself.  Temp, humidity, surface prep, gun and technique, the list goes on and on.  That I can try to tailor if conditions yield a funky result on the test panel, however the basic color I can not- except for perhaps the idea of requesting cups of tint to take home and tweak it in yourself.  Also yes, I fully realize paint ages and oxides.  On the military rig I am doing now, (bc-799b), there was a data plate screwed to the front panel which preserved a nice small section of unexposed, unoxidized paint.  That is what I intended to match, not the surfaces exposed to light, ozone; god knows what else over the last 70 years.  The same would apply to anything else a match is attempted at, when possible.

The SW stores near me apparently do not stock the commercial epoxy paints as was mentioned, they only seem to have residential latex and a few oils-  nor could they add flattening agent to any existing bases.  (Boy did that get a funny look!).  I will try and locate a larger store somewhere here in IL and give them another shot.
Variations batch to batch-  yup that is another issue entirely, and part of the reason why I wasn't too crazy about trusting formulas found online.  One there's no guarantee how close a mix that formula was in the first place, two the piece that person happened to match could have been a fair bit different than your particular piece.  Third, automotive paints have a very different tint system.  In auto paints there is no such thing as a deep, semi-transparent, etc base.  ALL the pigment is added by a person or machine.  For a tough-as-nails finish, getting a pint or quart made from that published formula in a single stage urethane for example, may or may not even be possible.
the second could probably be overlooked..  But then again, the majority of my concerns would probably be overlooked by most.  If it ain't all scraped up and basically the right color; it's all good, right?!

Any more tips or ideas, please send them along.  I will be sure to post an update if anything new should surface!

Thanks and Regards,
Chris kc9ieq

Sent from my outdated iPhone wireless thingy