From: Steve Berman <n6hk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harry.beukenoot2 <harry.beukenoot2@xxxxxxxxx>; collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Dec 22, 2012 7:48 pm
Subject: Re: {Collins} Slug Rack Straps

Readdressing this topic, I don't recommend trying to refit a rivet into the
drilled out hole that was made to remove the broken strap.  It's much better, in
my opinion, to use a small machine screw w/lockwasher and small pattern nut to
secure the replacement strap.  In addition, to get enough "headroom" to perform
above  repair, I also recommend removing the PA shield assembly (KWM and 32S
equipment.)  Otherwise, it's almost impossible to get any tools into that area
and have any room to work.  Of course, it goes without saying, that all adjacent
tubes should be removed to prevent damage.

As far as materials used for the straps.  I would stay with OEM Collins.  Trying
to "cobble" a slug rack strap from some hobby shop or craft store material would
be like "reinventing the wheel," in my opinion.  The straps are mainly there to
ensure r-f grounding integrity of the slug rack assembly.  This would preclude
the use of "ersatz" material for replacement.

Steve, N6HK