Re: {Collins} More info on the 32S-3 meter pegged on ALC.

Walter,

Most houses/single family dwellings in the USA are fed from one power
transformer, sometimes called a "pole pig" (when mounted on a power pole).
In most cases, this transformer has a high voltage primary winding and a
single, center-tapped secondary winding.  That secondary provides the
120-0-120 power in your house, with the center tap ("CT") grounded at the
main power panel and thereafter called the "Neutral".

The typical power panel does, as you say, provide a number of 120 volt
circuits from one half of the secondary and another number of 120 volt
circuits from the other half.  Loads that require 240 VAC (such as the
central air conditioning) are connected across the entire secondary and do
not use the neutral.  Note: Do NOT confuse "neutral" with the "green wire"
safety ground, which is separate from the neutral per code requirements.

A "glitch" on the HV power line feeding one of these pole pigs will cause
both halves of the secondary to suffer a corresponding glitch, which can be
either a voltage increase ("surge") or voltage decrease ("dropout").  If
you are experiencing dropouts on just one side of the power line, consider:
some device on the same side of the secondary is causing the glitches; a
partially intermittant connection at the power panel, outlet, or an
intermediate connection (such as in a pull box and using wire nuts); a
problem with a circuit breaker or fuse, GFI, or switch (not likely, but
worth mentioning just to be complete).

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

73, Dale
WA9ENA