Re: {Collins} 32S-3 PTO dial slippage / lubrication

----- Original Message ----- From: <ianwebb5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Collins Listserve" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2012 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} 32S-3 PTO dial slippage / lubrication

I bhink it's not that hard removing the PTO with some careful use of soldering iron and it's easy to reassemble for me at least.

AND...whatever you do make sure to find the small ball at the end of the shaft and put it in a SAFE place....A #10 envelope would work.

I ALWAYS with the many PTOs that I've cleaned and lubricated work in a large metal bak ing pan with reasonably high sides on it so when something like that ball gets away from being stuck to the shaft it doesn't escape forever and ever which is otherwise possible.

You should be happy with tuning that is velvet smooth when you're done!

Happy New Year!

Ian, K6SDE

The trick I learned for cameras was to work in a shallow box. The baking pan sounds like a good idea too. I keep small parts together in either used medicine bottles or in freezer bags. Freezer bags work for quite large parts. Its also possible to disassemble something _inside_ the freezer bag (with your hand stuck into it)_ since it is another way of catching small parts that fly off into the custody of local pixies.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles