Re: {Collins} 32 S-3 PTO dial Slippage

You can also loosen the two screws the hold the PTO to the chassis and pull the PTO back putting some additional
friction on drive interface.

On 12/31/12 6:30 PM, Gary Follett wrote:
If the eccentric bushing fine adjustment on the PTO shaft will not fix the slippage, you can loosen the PTO retaining nuts on the back of the PTO mount bracket and lift the entire PTO up a bit to tighten the PTO against the tuning shaft.

Be certain to not excessively loosen the PTO as you might risk letting the pinch part of the PTO shaft separate from the mating black ring on the PTO dial. It's not impossible to reposition this but it is frustrating.

The eccentric PTO shaft adjustment should first be set to middle of its range when you attempt this coarse adjustment.

The only other reason the PTO would "slip" when properly adjusted would be if your lubricant was dried out from age as this increases the amount of pressure you need on the tuning shaft to reliably move the PTO lead screw.

If indeed the tuning shaft were bad, the PTO would operate on part of the revolution but not the rest, since the only way that part can fail is to have the brass squeeze surfaces break.

Gary