From: Ian Webb [mailto:ianwebb5@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 8:53 PM
To: 'frank hughes'; collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} Starting work on a 30S-1 repair/refresh, need advice

Frank,

It's been the 1970s since I had a 30S-1 but I found my Xerox copy of the
manual that I made before I included the manual when I sold it.  Yes, I did
some work on it when I had it.

>From the picture you linked and my manual picture it appears as though
>those
are DIODES, CR206 and CR209.   They are in the parts list as 1N1084.

I find them listed on the Internet as in excess of $50!!!

So now you know why they were replaced with a modern generic
replacement????!!!!!!

They look to me as though they are 400 volt, 500 mA diodes.

So they should easily be replaced by 29 cent diodes from any decent surplus
or parts store.

They will NOT be in the form of the cartridge package if that bothers you.
(I could put up with the bother to save $110 a pair!

(You switched from talking about the 30S-1 to 30L-1 in your post which had
me a bit confused.)

You have to remember that in 1959 or 1960 when that was likely produced
diodes were expensive and not cheap as they are these days.

Ian, K6SDE