{Collins} picture of the tuning rack parts........correction about bearings

I mis spoke about the bearings not going through the holes. They will, but they are held in place by the end plate race way.

Hello Max and List,

I hope this picture will show you the internal parts of the tuning rack. The picture can be enlarged and you can take a close look at the end of the shaft you have in your hand. And the end of the tube that holds the
shaft with 4 bearing in the tube.

The holes you see at the end of the tube hold the bearings. The bearings are held by the end plate race way. The pre load tensioner on the back of the rack sets the tension on the bearings. As the tensioner is turned clockwise as viewed from the rear, the bearings are pushed against the race way. Since the bearings can't move the tension on the bearings increases. And in turn the friction on the inner shaft race way increases.

I completely disassembled mine to remove 50 years of grime. It's a tedious job but the results are well worth the time invested.

When you assemble the tube, shaft and bearings, don't lubricate the bearing assembly. After the rack is installed in the rig put a few drops of DeOxit or the like to the bearings. Now set the tension screw to stop any slippage. This will insure smooth tuning and end jumpy grid current while tuning. No lubrication is required for the slug rack guides.

The inner shaft via the ball bearings to the tube make up an planetary gear reduction. Note the red string tied to the springs for the bands.
Those suckers can fly to places unknown.

Smith Bradford
W9HAK

p.s. to the list, the attached photo will be stripped from the e-mail, if you want a copy e-mail me and I'll forward the photo.