 From: George Babits <gbabits@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Bill Fizette <w2dgb@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 2, 2012 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: {Collins} Collins S line on 60M question

Hi Bill,
Colen is right about the difficulty of being exactly on frequency for the "channelized" operation on 60 meters.   I'm not sure how you could get exactly on frequency, but the set is certainly stable enough and if you could figure out how to get right on frequency it will work.  My thought was to zero beat the other station, but assuming he is on the right "channel" might be a risky assumption.

However, the radio is fully capable of operation on 60 meters.  Collins put out a "Service Information Letter"  in October 1975 (2-75)  which gives information for operation within the originally "excluded" range of 5 to 6 mcs.    To operate 60 meters you will need an 8.455 mc crystal. which allows operation from 5.3 to 5.5 mcs.   I stuck one into my S-3 line and it tunes up just fine on 60 meters into the dummy load.

The other problem is the power issue.  I found that it was close to impossible to keep the output power down to 50 watts PEP using the mike gain.  It is my understanding that there is an increase to 100 watts of ERP pending and that is a lot easier to maintain by simply backing off on the mike gain.

Good luck,
George
W7HDL

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Fizette" <w2dgb@xxxxxxx>