Re: {Collins} [Bulk] 220V for 30L-1

while I agree with David's advice completely, and do not want to detract from his excellent advice, I'd like to point somethingelse out that this brings to mind. Something that I've been guilty of many times until I consciously made an effort to "back off".

Of course the 30L1 may have a bit more power out on 220VAC, but the amount of power out that is gained is not significant in the perceived signal level at the other end. However, the stability gained IS an advantage.

It's this mentality I'm addressing, thatso many of us are trying to squeeze out "just a few more watts".

The difference between 600 and 650 watts is not worth the risk. I'm suggesting that if our amps are rated, let us say, at 650 watts, that we let them coast at 600 watts or even lower. Actually, running 600 watts isn't going to be enough lower signal level to 700 watts that it is worth the "squeezing" and possible damage to your linear amp. The difference is basically unperceptive to the human ear.

Understanding this could add life to your linear. It could even add less stress to the operator. And it might even get you to calling the DX faster.

I know, the magnanimous pileups. Like the current HK0NA, PJ4C and VP6T pileups. Not just SSB and CW pileups, but the RTTY pileups. (and you'd better run lots less power on RTTY or your linear WILL choke)

These pileups seem to make us want to squeeze 30 or 50 more watts out, thinking it will may make a significant difference. If you are running 50 watts output, getting 50 more watts out probably will make a difference at the other end. However, give that a try too and you will see that isn't as much as we think it will be.

Good operating skills and wise calling increase one's chances a lot more.

Have a good week.
Bob
"just my two bobs worth......well, maybe just one Bob."