Re: {Collins} An atypical Collins tale

If the lam size is still available it usually is not that great an idea to reuse transformer laminations. New lams of better spec are less than the labor involved. So you have a whole new transformer, unless you reuse the endbells.

 Winding new from scratch, saves a lot of work-there is no reason to unwind more than one to find out how it was done, especially with power transformers.

 If you have a local wind shop, they will often wind a one off cheaper than the rewind places if you don't need it in a close time frame because they may have "Dead Spots" in the production schedule.

 You will want them to add a few turns to the primary because nominal AC voltages have crept up somewhat in the previous five decades, a trend unlikely to stop.