Re: {Collins} 270G-2 speaker replacement?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:22 PM
Subject: {Collins} 270G-2 speaker replacement?

I've been using a TMC GSP-1 speaker with 51J4 for a while, because it was handy. FInally dug a 270G-2 out of storage, figuring it would be a better match, and of course it would "match" since it's the right finish and not TMC blue. Well … the 270G-2 sounds quite poor and muffled by comparison to the GPR-90 speaker. It isn't a speaker I'd choose to use given other options.

The GSP-1 has its original high quality 8" Jensen PM (Alinco-5) in it. The 270G-2 has a 10" something (no manufacturer evident in the markings). The speaker cone is in good shape, so it doesn't appear to be just a bad speaker in the box.

I wonder if anyone has put a Jensen in the 270G-x, and if so if it made a difference? The modern "vintage" Jensen would be a P10R.

Grant NQ5T

Something to try when a speaker sounds muffled is to take it out of its cabinet and see how the high end sounds. You may want to make a temporary cabinet from a paper box. Its quite possible the speaker sounds muffled but the grill cloth is always a good suspect. I have no idea who Collins got their speakers from, they may even have had more than one source. Jensen had a good reputation but many companies made "replacement" and general purpose speakers of good quality. I have a couple of 10" Jensen speakers in Bud cabinets of the type used by Hammarlund. The two don't sound the same, one is a bit brighter than the other. Perhaps they began like that or perhaps its age. These cabinets don't have grill cloth, only cane metal grills. The speaker I used for my R-388 is a no-name 8" speaker in a Bud box with closed back. This must have been a fairly expensive speaker because it has an enclosed magnet rather than the U magnet the Jensen's have. Its a 4 ohm speaker but the Jensens are lounder even though they are 8 ohm speakers but this one sounds smoother to my bad ears. I also have an RCA speaker that was probably used in movie theaters for projection room monitoring. This is a small, metal, bass-reflex with an 8" Permoflux speaker in it. I use this for my RCA AR-88. I can't hear well enough anymore to give details of how these guys sound.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles