Re: {Collins} Accident and 30L-1 tube glowing question

Hola Roberto,

now you know, why some of these boxes are called boat anchors!
I'm glad that you were not hurt seriously, even more that the 30L-1 was not
damaged beyond repair, hi.

I suspect that the burnt 47 Ohm resistor was R9 in the bias supply, or was
it one of the grid resistors R21-24?
Quick analysis of the faults tells me that you probably had the full HV on
one of the 811 grids, maybe just momentarily.
You were very lucky, not only with your legs, but the HV short could have
caused more and costly damages.
Definitely, you should check C10. That may not have survived high voltage in
the wrong direction.

Do you have a MOV (1.5KE400CA) installed across C2? This is just the
protection one needs for such a HV fault, as strongly advised by Bill Carns
on this CCA reflector already back in March 2011.
I have at least one spare and would be glad to send it.

Best 73 from ol' Europe
Ernst DJ7HS
CCA 12284