Re: {Collins} SM-2 mic gauze

----- Original Message ----- From: "Max Cotton" <airradio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:33 AM
Subject: {Collins} SM-2 mic gauze

Has anyone found a suitable supplier for the gauze on the SM-2 microphone? I have one here with a hole in the gauze and it looks awful. I can form the shape just need the material.
73 Max
M0GHQ

I am not familiar with this particular microphone but the grill material used will vary with age. What you want is a smooth or hard weave. RCA used voile which is an unsized cloth made from cotton or a blend but nylon or rayon will work as well. If you have any of the original material you can take a sample to a Jo-Ann or other fabric shop and find something similar. The idea of the hard weave is that fluffy cloth tends to block high frequencies. Some manufacturers, like Electro-Voice, used stainless steel mesh. I don't know of a source for this but usually it does not disintegrate and can be straightened.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles