Re: {Collins} 310B-3

Mike,

The same thing happened to my 310B-1 before I acquired it. The oil filled cap that failed had been replaced and a new, larger reactor had been installed. I was able to get an approximate Triad replacement from one of the distributors - it might have been Allied. If you're not set on getting an original replacement, the modern chokes have better insulation, etc.

I would replace both oil filled caps, and all the electrolytic and paper ones as well if you intend to use the rig on the air. Also, mine was full of aluminum foil particles and gunk because one of the AC bypass caps had blown up, so I would advise replacing them and installing a 3-wire cord so that the fuse is always in the hot lead. Make sure the hot end of the fuse holder is the far end from the chassis apron so that you can't get shocked removing the fuse if your fingers touch it when it's half way out. In addition, check all the resistors. I had to replace the resistors in the PTO before it would put out enough of a signal.

With its stability and grid block keying, the 310B makes a very nice low power CW rig. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

73,
Bob AD3K