{Collins} 'Reply all' V 'Reply' postings - ref Brown resistances

Hi folks,

The 'Reply' and 'Reply all' functions are simply a feature of the various client email programs available.

When responding to a post, I ask myself two qns:
1. Is my response likely to be of interest to the greater group; or
2. Is my response more of a 'personal note' to the person who made the original post, such as sharing serial nos on our KWM-1s.

If it's a #1 response, then 'Reply all' makes sense. If it's a #2, then 'Reply' makes sense. I would hate to burden everyone with some of the minutae I share with other members of the reflector, as it's not relevant to most of the group - and yes, it is a judgement call.

My biggest complaint with listserve is it's inability to provide a single summary of the day's emails. Must confess the archives 'search' process does cause me some grief at times, but that's often because a thread develops and heads off into (almost) unrelated issues - such as this has become, thus my new 'Subject' line.

As members we need to exercise a degree of responsibility in our posts. We need to use feedback/questions - such as the post by John (below) to summarise the responses as a 'Reply all'. Yes, this does take time and effort, but it allows dissemination and generation of a 'permanent record' of material which is often hard to find.

I for one would be reticent to support a system where my every response to an individual post automatically became a 'Reply all'.

Cheers
Steve VK2LW
CCA AC08-12211