Re: {Collins} R'389 Question

Non Directional Beacons.  They are used in the aviation world with ADF’s in the airplane.  ADF (automatic direction finder) cover below the broadcast band from 190 Khz to 535 Khz in the US.  They are usually low power with a very inefficient antenna system compared to an AM broadcast station.  They transmit AM, and it’s usually a two letter code in Morse code. And yes, they are being phased out.  The flying club I belong to has removed them as they fail.  They are only moderately good as an AM broadcast band receiver in the plane.

Ken
KE7YD