Re: {Collins} 32S-1 / 75S-1 maiden voyage

Mark,

You seem to be in need of a way to monitor your output.  There might be nothing wrong with the 32S1 - keep in mind that 100 watts, while usually a pretty usable amount of power, does not always cut it, especially if others are running higher power, have higher gain directional antennas, or happen to be at a more favorable skip distance.

Adding a 312B-4 to your setup will show RF output, BUT keep something in mind: the meter on a 312B-4 (and most other wattmeters) can not follow voice peaks and will never show you true peak output on SSB.  It is OK for when you tune up in the lock key position or go key down in CW mode.  If you want to "see" your true peak output, as monitor scope is the best, and least expensive, way to do that.  Heathkit, Kenwood, and Yaesu all made monitor scopes, and the Heath SB-610 is probably the best known and most widely available.  Some people have even made cosmetically "close" conversions of SB-610s to appear as similar to S-Line equipment.  Use a monitor scope and you will no longer have to wonder if the rig has a problem - you will be able to see the RF output in real time.

BTW: I ran my S-line barefoot for several years.  Then I got smart and added a 30L-1.  Boosting a 90 to 100 watt signal to 500 or 600 watts may not sound like a lot, but it is a huge help.

Have fun and enjoy the equipment.  Just keep in mind the many factors that can affect how others hear you.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
CCA Member