Re: {Collins} Oddball question for an ART-13/DY-17

The Collins Amateur Radio Club in Cedar tried to power an ART-13 demo in the
Main Plant parking lot a couple of years ago with a Collins 639G-1B power
supply.  That supply is a 175 pound linear unit that was the first design
project for a Collins engineer who went on to become an accomplished power
conversion expert.  It was spec'd at 75 amps at 28 VDC, but would maintain
regulation at double that.  However, the ART-13 would trip the supply
breaker on transmit, so we had to abandon the project.

The 639G-1B supply was designed to power the 718U-2 vehicular 400 watt HF
SSB system.  The contract for those systems was relatively small, but the
supply became the "standard" 28 volt supply in the Collins factory for test
bay use.  I was fortunate enough to acquire a few of those supplies from the
old Collins surplus store and still have a couple for my 718U-2 and bench
supplies.  I donated one to the Fifi project a couple of years ago for
ground use.

I attempted to power a 1 KVA rotary inverter to supply 3 phase 400 Hz and
found that the starting current on those big brutes tripped the 639G
breakers, but I found that adding a pair of batteries in series across the
28VDC line worked nicely.  Only problem is that the whine from those
inverters can be heard for at least two blocks, so I have to limit my
618T/ARC-190 operating time to daylight hours.

Those old dynamotors may be hard to find, but I think they should be used
whenever possible.  With a reasonable amount of TLC, they should be
operational for generations to come.

73
Jim w0nkn