Re: {Collins} 2-Propanol as cleaning agent for rotary switches.

I think the W8ZR's statement below is good. There are different levels of
Bakelite quality and different types of filler material used in making
Bakelite  switch wafers depending upon manufacturer and cost. While Collins
obviously employs the highest quality Bakelite parts some of the less  expensive
competition does not which is probably where this caution came  about. It
would be interesting to repeat the W8ZR test using switch wafers  from other
popular equipment manufacturers.

I have always thought moving mechanical parts and sliding metal contact
surfaces should be lubricated for smooth operation and to prevent premature
wear  but I have not done a study to confirm if that is actually the case. The
 obvious argument against applying a lubricant is that it might introduce
an  insulating layer but is that actually true? Has anyone tested for
resistance using various lubricants on switch contacts? I know a lubricated
multi-stage wafer switch assembly is a lot smoother to operate and it does seem
to eliminate intermittent operation. Of course we all know silver oxide is
an  excellent conductor so is it really necessary to remove it?

I would guess that microwelding would be another way to say  galling.

Greg;
WA1KBQ

In a message dated 6/28/2014 9:21:30 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,