Re: {Collins} How is Collins Radio connected to coal poweed airplanes?

Dr. Lippisch did quite a lot of work at Collins on Wind in Ground Effect
vehicles.  Collins pilot Clayton Landner flew the X-112 at Coralville Lake
south of Cedar Rapids.  The X-112 was at EAA HQ in Oshkosh, but was moved to
the History Center in Cedar Rapids several years ago, but was never
exhibited.  The little aircraft is now part of an exhibit at the Children's
museum at the Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville, IA.

The device Al refers to was the Aerodyne, a wingless aircraft built on
contract for the Navy Research Labs, but the full scale aircraft was never
flown (as far as I know).

Besides the coal fired ramjet, his somewhat more successful project during
WWII was the ME-163 Komet, a rocket powered delta wing aircraft that flashed
through Allied bombers on the way up until the fuel ran out then glided to a
dead stick landing.  Not very effective, but was very impressive to the
Allied crews as it flew through the bomber formations.

Search for his "Secrets of Flight" videos that I think he did for PBS.

Did some boat hull designs for Arthur's boats.

Some of his thermodynamics work resulted in some advanced cooling techniques
for a number of Collins products.

Jim w0nkn