Re: {Collins} Asking advice on HF amps

Hey, I'm with Dan. No matter what your antenna is now, adding a 30L1 will
make you 6 -8 db louder for less than $100 bux per db, and the only physical
 plant changes you might need are a slightly bigger table.  There's a
reason Art made amps and KW class amateur transmitters, methinks, and I  don't
see why anyone should be apologetic about using one :)

And that's not even considering 40 meters - with the 30L1 and a vertical,
you'll be more competitive on 40 than 20 by a long shot, and the  neighbors
may be a lot happier looking in your direction, as long as  you stay out of
their computer speakers and fire alarms with the amp on.   And if you still
long for directivity on the higher freqs, phase a couple  verticals and
switch a delay line when you need to, and the guys with the  tribanders at 35 ft
barefoot will often be waiting for you to be done.

That said we'd all like bigger antennas, but there is the old cartoon about
 the ham next door - he has friends all over the world, just none in the
neighborhood :)

Try a vertical first maybe, compare it to your dipole, and go from  there.

73 Scott ka9p

In a message dated 3/22/2014 1:06:41 P.M. Central Daylight Time,