Re: {Collins} KWS-1 Questions

"It appears to tune up fine in CW, but when I put it into SSB mode, keying the mic results in full 500 mA plate current.  There have been times that I’ve had it working on 10 meter SSB ok, but eventually, it starts misbehave."

Have you checked out the parasitic suppressors?  If those old CC resistors are toast or have gone way up in value, your issue could simply be VHF oscillation.  If you replace them, be sure to use non-inductive resistors.  Use carbon Comp if you can find them, if not KOA Speer's HPC/PCF line of ceramic resistors seem to do quite well at HF frequencies.

Regards,
Chris