Re: {Collins} Tuning the 30L-1

Read some of my past comments on tuning the 30L-1. There have been a ton of
strings on this. I would suggest that at 80 watts drive and 700 watts
output, you may be above the point where the amp is linear. It will go
there. If you want to find out quickly:

Rough method. - run drive up from about zero and watch output rise and you
will see/feel the linearity between input and output. Stop and go back and
note output at the point right before you notice the knee start to occur.
More rigorous: Add a watt meter between the driver and the 30L-1 and
actually plot Pout vs Pin and you will see a definite knee and the drive
point is usually down around 60 watts or less.

That amp will make way more power than it will stay linear at as will most
amps. One of the most common mistakes operating a 30L-1 is to overdrive it.
The IMD suffers first and then the amp itself.

That's my two cents worth for the evening.

Bill Carns, N7OTQ
Trustee K0CXX
President, Collins Collectors Association
Editor, Signal Magazine
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)