Re: {Collins} Tuning the 30L-1

From: "Bill Carns" <wcarns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 1, 2014 6:06:18 PM

>> Read some of my past comments on tuning the 30L-1.
>> There have been a ton of strings on this.

Good evening, Bill.

I'm sure there have been but I was not able to find any that were directly on-point from the last several months or so (much older than that, and information sometimes tends to get obsolete, and anyway it doesn't hurt to re-raise the question occasionally, in case new information is available).

>> I would suggest that at 80 watts drive and 700 watts output,
>> you may be above the point where the amp is linear.

That is often true.  I feed the outputs of both the exciter and the amp thru a Kenwood SM-220 scope and watch the trap pattern while speaking.  I can tell pretty accurately when the amp is going out of linearity... tends to start happening above about 600 watts peak or so.

Rick WA1RKT