Re: {Collins} Cleaning (transmitter) variable caps

Mark, There is a product called "DUST-OFF" or "DUSTER" etc and they are all
pretty much 1,1,1,2 Tetraflouroethane. This product blows stuff off and out
of crevices pretty well. Take a care on where it winds up - see below.

Often, if the rig has been around a smoker or an environment where there has
been oil or hydrocarbon volatiles, the dust will be stubborn. There is a
similar cleaning product made with Tetraflouroethylene.  The difference
between the ethane and the ethylene is that the ethane comes out a gas and
the ethylene is a liquid and does a better job of "scrubbing" as it goes
through. Whatever you use, make sure that you clean in a direction that
moves the residue out of the rig and the plates and bearing and any close
moving components like trimmer. The residue will have the dirt in it and if
it runs in a trimmer, for example, it will move the dirt in, evaporate , and
then you have a crudded up or stuck trimmer.. This is one of the issues with
"WASHING" rigs.

I like to put the rig upside down on a nice full fluffed terrycloth towel
and let everything get sucked up by the towel. Clean with the plate open,
but remember that they are vulnerable as hell at that point.

Let us know how it goes,

Bill