Re: {Collins} Cleaning (transmitter) variable caps

Yes, That combination of cleaning agent (409 + Household ammonia) is a power
cleaner, but you must be able to rinse very well - as in flood - and then
rewash with a very dilute solution of DI water and dishwasher soap and then
two more cycles of rinsing. The Ammonia can leave a radical that remains and
sets the rig up for corrosion later.

I NEVER use that cleaning method for other than spot very controlled rig
cleaning or cabinets. It is a hugely successful way to clean St. James Grey
cabinets followed by a generous lay on of WD-40.

I would never wash a RF deck in the 409/Ammonia mix.

I would stick with the volatile non-residue solvents approach and be very
careful where it goes.

Bill Carns, N7OTQ
Trustee K0CXX
President, Collins Collectors Association
Editor, Signal Magazine
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)