Re: {Collins} Circuit info wanted

The only problem with the amplified version of the D-104 is with people who run the gain too high for their radio to take. The D-104 is a crystal (or ceramic) cartridge which has a volt or more of output _into a very high impedance_ load, like a Megohm or more. This is fine with tube type rigs, but modern radios (mostly solid state) are designed for a low impedance microphone with much lower output.

The amplifier was added by Astatic to allow the microphone to work with newer radios, mostly CB type. Therein lies the rub..... CB types think that the higher the gain, and the louder they talk, the louder their signal will be.

The amplifier provides the Hi-Z load that the cartridge wants to see, and has a Lo-Z output to drive any radio, Hi -OR- Lo Z.

Most tube type radios will work fine with the 'bare' D-104, although they will sound better with another Megohm or so resistor in series with the cartridge. If your mic has the amplifier, just set your transmitter GAIN control to where you set it with other microphones, then start at minimum gain in the MIC preamp. While talking normally into the MIC as you usually do, increase the gain on the MIC preamp until you get the desired modulation level. Works just fine........

73, Garey - K4OAH
Glen Allen, VA

Drake 2-B, 2-C/2-NT, 4-A, 4-B, C-Line
and TR-4/C Service Supplement CDs
<www.k4oah.com>

Michael victor R wrote:
John:
all that I have read says do NOT use an amplified mic on Collins. Although
I have a bunch of Astatics I do Not have a "K" but I only buy junk that I
can rebuild to good working microphone and ironically I have not seen that.
Have fun! good luck
mike K9LSH.