Re: {Collins} Step-start for 30L-1 - Good idea?

For what it's worth .............. not pure but works nice and is low cost ............ I use and MFJ inrush guard. They make both 120 and 240 volt models for about $80. You get some inrush protection and you get an on/off switch. Is the on/off switch in your 30L-1 worth $80? Mine is. If you can find one I think it's a bear to replace! I have the thing mounted along side the desk under the "lip" edge where it's about out of sight so it doesn't even pollute the Collins picture when I take one.

John W4FID

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Poole WA1RKT" <wa1rkt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "collins" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 3:03 PM
Subject: Re: {Collins} Step-start for 30L-1 - Good idea?

Someone emailed me privately, questioning the need for a step-start in the 30L-1, saying that "Those 811A's can take the initial surge. Have you ever heard of a failure related to the in-rush current?". Good point... no I have never personally hears of a failure so related (which doesn't necessarily mean anything). But I am also in the process of restoring a Heath Warrior (4x811A) and someone whose opinion I respect advises I should consider putting a step-start in that.

So, what say all of you? Would a step-start be worth the effort and expense ($30 plus shipping) for the 30L-1? Perhaps for no better reason than to go a bit easier on the on-off switch, which I'm told is subject to burnout and is a real bear to get at if it needs to be replaced?

Rick WA1RKT
*** You are subscribed to Collins as w4fid@xxxxxxxxxx. If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/collins ***