Re: {Collins} Step-start for 30L-1 - Good idea?

In my opinion....there is no need for an 'in-rush' current device.
The power supply....even the original Collins power supply....was designed
to operate without such a device.
Of course...the tubes have their own problems....but there is no 'in-rush'
problem that affects them.

The problem here is as others have mentioned and is well known....that
rocker switch.
This is a similar problem that affects the 32S-x transmitters and the KWM-2
transceivers....electrical and mechanical.
The fix is the same for both....build an electrical box with a switch on
it....turn on and leave on the rig switch and control the power with the
remote switch.
I use metal conduit boxes with 2 side-by-side single switched outlets on all
Collins equipment that transmits RF.
This completely solves these problems and does not damage or require any
disassembly or mods in any way.

If someone decides to build one of these....be sure to get the commercial
grade switched receptacle....the contacts for the sliding plug blades are a
lot wider and will easily carry the current.
For the 30L-1 wired for 240vac I use a standard 10A double barred breaker
instead of a switched receptacle.
I wire the breaker to an appropriate socket in the box.

73

David Harmon
K6XYZ
CCA 97-535