From: "Mark Pilant" <n1vqw@xxxxxxxx>
To: "collins" <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 5:17:25 PM
Subject: Re: {Collins} Step-start for 30L-1 - Good idea?

 > The fix is the same for both....build an electrical box with a switch on
 > it....turn on and leave on the rig switch and control the power with the
 > remote switch.

As an alternative, you could have the power switch in the rig energize a
relay which actually completes the circuit to the transformer.  (The relay
replaces the On / Off switch in the circuit.)

I have done this for my Collins 516F-2 as well as my Drake AC-3 and AC-4
supplies.  The relay has contacts rated for 10A, and only requires about
only about 10mA to energize.

Here is a web page I put together for a Drake AC-4 I rebuilt:

     http://www.n1vqw.net/ac4rebuild/

The circuit is very similar for the AC-3 and 516F-2.  Although the location
of the relay tucked in the 516F-2 chassis is different :-)

I'm in the process of writing this all up for a set of Collins pages for
gear I have been bringing back to life.

73

- Mark  N1VQW