Go figure.

Steve
KC5WN

On 11/5/2014 6:43 PM, wb9tow wrote:
The early D-104 were thicker, and even had 4 eyelets for spring mount!real old buzzard!

-------- Original message --------
From: Guy Giacopuzzi <gggdds@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:05/11/2014  20:00  (GMT-05:00)
To: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} Astatic D-104

1940s?  The D104 dates to the/1930's/...I may have some old QST's
showing Collins equipment ads with D-104's....
Guy,
WA6OQQ
On 11/5/2014 1:27 PM, Stanley Miln wrote:
The D104 was Originally a Ham Radio Microphone with Hi Impedance output with
no preamp in the 1940's 50, into the early 70's.
   In the days of American made Ham Radios none of them came with a Microphone
from the manufacture. You were lucky if they included a Mic Plug
with the new radio. You would buy from your Ham Radio dealer an Astatic
,Shure ,Electro Voice and Turner a mic for your new radio. In the late
   50's I also saw Japanese Microphones like Calrad show up.
   When the Japanese started selling Ham Radios in the US in the late
   60's and 70's in a big way ,they mostly came with a Mic or had their
   own optional desk mics. This meant that the American microphone
   manufactures had to find new outlets for their mics. Shure had contracts
   with most of the two way radio Manufactures like Motorola,GE and RCA.
   Many PA Mics were shure.Also Shure was big in Broadcasting and Music.
   Electro Voice was big in PA and other commercial outlets. Astatic
   looked at the CB Market and all the Fancy D104's with the Preamp to
   match the low Impedance CB Radios. Turner also got in the CB Market
   with the Turner Plus Amplified Microphones. Turner manufactured many
   of the Collins Microphones.
                      Stan K6RMR

   The D-104 has a long history for use in a variety of commercial, amateur,
and industrial settings and there is no reason for calumny by calling it a
"CB Mic". That's almost as bad as referring to the early Neumanns with a
separate capsule housing by the name of a long since deceased European
dictator as is often done.

*** You are subscribed to Collins as k6rmr@xxxxxxxxxxx. If you wish to
-----
No virus found in this message.