Now... if you want to talk about voltage loss through the power cords and connectors and 90 feet to the breaker box.... that might be a productive discussion, but the amplifier performance at the transformer is identical in both cases. The power is not dissipated in the power supply transformer, of course.... the filaments get hot, and the antenna gets RF power... Fun discussion !!

John
K0KHZ

On 11/7/2014 8:56 PM, Dave wrote:
Watts are watts no difference in  heat dissipated in power supply
transformer.  Primary windings are in either series or parallel in the same
transformer.  The iron doesn't know the difference.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stanley M Miln [mailto:k6rmr@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2014 7:44 PM
To: Dave; 'David Harmon'; 'Rick Poole WA1RKT'; 'collins'
Subject: [Bulk] Re: {Collins} [Bulk] Re: 30L-1 - convert between 115V and
230V

   Hi Dave
  One good thing about running the 30L1 on 240Volts  is you only pull about 4
amps on the AC in instead  of 8 Amps. That would generate less heat  in the
Power Supply.
                     Stan K6RMR

It is my understanding that stock 30L1 amps came from the factory
wired for
120 volts.  (or maybe a little lower back then).  I have had them
wired both ways and have had identical performance.  Rewiring the
terminal strip[ is touchy since it gets fragile with age.  Also, some
of the AC distributing experts out there have issues with the Collins
240 volt setup which I don't totally understand,  something about line
balance. When I had the shack wired for 240 I added a 120v 20 amp line
direct to the panel.  That is where my current 30L1 lives happily.
Dave
W7VM