Re: {Collins} [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: 30L-1 - convert between 115V and 230V

Charlie,

Thanks for your comments.  Here is a little clarification about what I did:

I already had 20 amp/12 ga 120 volt receptacle service to my shack area, but it had to serve everything (including my then-115-wired 30L-1).  The lights would dim when voltage dropped from 122 to 115 under key down on the HT-33A (but not the 30L-1).

I did run 3-wire 10 ga  30 amp 220 service to the shack to two 4-wire 30 amp dryer plug receptacles but installed 20 amp breakers in the box, as a margin of safety.  One dryer receptacle feeds my now-220-wired 30L-1, and the other feeds a plug-in utility box using 12 ga SO cord with 2 receptacles each on each leg of the 220 volt service.

For the 30L-1, the 4 wire dryer plug does not have a neutral wire connected.  The HT-33A uses one side from the SO cord splits with zilch voltage drop now.  The other leg powers everything else through power strips.

I also ran 10 ga services to my 7 HP air compressor and welder, but these are both using 30 amp breakers.

I don't know if the 2-outlet daisy-chained 30 amp dryer receptacles to the shack are code compliant, but my estate will have to worry about that detail.

Jack  W3RU