Re: {Collins} 51S-1

Hi Bill and fellow Collins Collctors.
In My 75S3B I found a 7543 in my Dad's Tubes from
30 Years ago. With the 7543 the PTO is SO stable.
The drift from Cold to warm-up is almost not
Noticable. The 6AU6 was not bad but that
7543 is just Great.
Also since I am using the Receive PTO on my
32S3, my Transmitter is just as stable.
                      Stan K6RMR

The inter-electrode capacitances are often different in the "Industrial
Strength" versions of tubes, so watch the alignment when using this kind of a replacement. My take on this, Collins chose the 7543 for its more robust
(and thus physically more stable - good in a PTO) construction so I would
stick with the 7543.

Bill Carns, N7OTQ
Trustee K0CXX
President, Collins Collectors Association
Editor, Signal Magazine
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)