From: Collins [mailto:collins-bounces+rich=n7tr.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Harmon
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 12:14 AM
To: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} S line zero-beat issue in Transceive Mode?

There is no alignment procedure to make the S-Line transceive on the same frequency.

On frequency transceive operation is determined by the BFO xtals in each unit.
Your tx xtal may be low or your rx xtal may be high in frequency.
Real world experience says that both xtals will be off spec frequency.

To transceive on the same frequency on LSB.....the LSB xtals in the tx and rx must be on the same frequency....not necessarily on the correct freq....just the same freq.
Same thing for USB.
To fix this problem you must replace the BFO xtals in each unit.....either LSB or USB....or both....2 xtals or 4 xtals.
Not very hard to do....but it is the weak spot in the S-Line.
For now you can operate split and use the SYNC function on the tx to get exactly on frequency.
You can order the xtals from INRAD.
http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=103

73

David Harmon