Re: {Collins} 30S-1 Plate Reactor replacement

Hi Chuck and Happy Thanksgiving.

I would not say that transformer is undersize at all. The fact is that the
amp is cooling limited due to the Plate Input power limitation at the time
of its design and the transformer has plenty of starch in it.

Me, I would just have the one you have evacuated and re-impregnated after
tightening the laminate bolts. I recommend Gary for this and it will be much
cheaper than trying to find a replacement.

Are all of the bolts in place (and tight) that mount both the choke and the
plate tranny?  Then try just tightening the laminate bolts if they will
turn.  We rarely see that transformer fail. Some "humming" is normal under
full key down but that is to be expected.

Regards and good to hear from you.

Bill Carns, N7OTQ
Trustee K0CXX
President, Collins Collectors Association
Editor, Signal Magazine
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)