From: Collins [mailto:collins-bounces+wcarns=austin.rr.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bill Carns
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:03 AM
To: 'Howie Howard'
Cc: COLLINS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} 30s1

Yes, you are tripping one of the protection interlocks and there are
several.

First, the KWM-380 ALC is not compatible with the KWM-380 ALC levels. Do not
use it. Unplug it. For one thing, you could, or may have, damaged the 380.
Pull that immediately.

Then, and this is only good operating procedure:

Read the manual from cover to cover and understand it.

Second, read the "The How's and Whys of tuning your 30S-1" that is on our
website.  It is at this URL

http://www.collinsradio.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Tuning-the-30S-1.pdf

Not only were you overdriving it but your signal was a mess and you risk
damaging the 30S-1.  It is, however, pretty robust.

You are going to have to learn to interpret what the tuning indications (not
the tuning Multimeter position) are "telling you" to stay in the linear
region of the amps performance. It is very easy to overdrive a 30L-1 or a
30S-1 with a 100 watt rig.  It is also, once the process is understood, easy
to not over drive it.

Read and enjoy and if I can help more, do not hesitate to email me or call.

Bill Carns, N7OTQ (Trustee K0CXX)
Past President, Collins Collectors Association Founding Board, Collins Radio
Heritage Group Editor, Signal Magazine Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)