Re: {Collins} Need RCA SK3089 diode data (312B-4 mod)

I was replying about making them bigger.  Making kike Collins did was a very good design.

The pickup is the same on the 312b-4 and the 302C-3

From: Mike Waters [mailto:mikewate@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2015 2:27 PM
To: Bill Carns
Cc: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} Need RCA SK3089 diode data (312B-4 mod)

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know about the W8RO board, and don't doubt that it's better than adding the capacitors.

However, from my old notes, it looks like Collins used those capacitors in their 302C wattmeter (IIRC, very similar to the 312B-4). There must have been a good reason.

Adding those caps --as Collins did in the 302C-- made a tremendous improvement on SSB. I'd try and explain, but I have to get back to work.

I'm not certain what you mean by "neither fish nor fowl". However, before I added those capacitors, my D-104 (with the 32S-3's 100K load) barely made the 312B-4 needle flicker off of zero on SSB, regardless of the mic gain setting.

73, Mike

www.w0btu.com <http://www.w0btu.com>