Re: {Collins} Wattmeter PEP

Sounds like a plan. Please let us know what the new diodes do before you
add anything else.

You want suggestions ... my suggestion is to make your proposed switch
select between (1) the standard circuit (probably with the diode mod), (2)
my 7 uF tantalum cap mod, and (3) the PEP board.

In fact, before you do anything with capacitors or PEP board, why don't you
make it so you can switch between the original diodes and the new ones?!

Tantalum capacitors can have a slight advantage over electrolytics in some
time constant circuits. (I forget the details, but maybe it's something
about the rise/decay times being more linear). Whether it would make a
significant difference in this case, I can't say for sure. If I had the
tantalums, I would send you some at no charge, but I don't.

Reading average power is important. My question is whether or not that PEP
board will also show the average similar to the way that my capacitor mod
does. Based on SSB waveforms that I've seen on a scope, and reading the
info at http://www.redwaveradio.com/8_2835eb798927b1e7_1.htm ,  I have some
nagging doubts about that.

Gentlemen, I am not trying to show off or pick a fight with anyone. I
simply am trying to learn something and share my own experiences.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com