Re: {Collins} 30L-1 tuning

Ben:

I just took a look at my 30L-1 Tuning Capacitor and knob.  I found that there are no flats on the capacitor shaft for the set screws in the knob to "Lock" onto for alignment.

The knob should be pointed to the 9:00 O'clock position, with the capacitor 100% meshed, or full capacitance.  On mine I found a screw driver slot in the shaft end and it was horizontal at full mesh.  I used  small flashlight and was able to confirm this with a visual inspection.  Mine is a WE unit from about 1962 or so.

I would inspect the knob alignment, as you were already alluding to, seems you are checking a logical potential issue.

Good Luck,

Chuck W9KR

Sent from my iPhone