Re: {Collins} FiFi was in the air over Washington DC today

FiFi is a neat bird. It was down here in College Station, TX a couple of
years ago. I went out to the airport and climbed around in it, especially
the Navigator compartment, which is right behind the cockpit. FiFi has the
forward gun turret removed, which makes the Navigator compartment very
roomy. The B-50 was about 30 feet longer than the B-29. And, our forward
turret was removed, also.

I was a B-50 Navigator, back in the late '50s. The B-50 was a stretch
version of the B-29, only with bigger engines, R-4360s, instead of -3350s.
The biggest piston engine for aircraft that was ever built. Unfortunately,
at 30,000 feet, with full blower on, we only got about 30 hours per engine,
before they blew up. And, when they blew, it was spectacular, and of course
a little scary until the fire went out. From inside the bird, it sounded
like a big 'Whump'. And, of course, the plane would yaw, until you could get
the prop feathered.

They wanted $250 to take me on a short ride in FiFi. I told their Navigator
they'd have to pay me to ride in it.

John P.
W5LQS
W9VKE-Aeronautical Mobile in the B-50.