Re: {Collins} Crystal Box

Yes I have the special custom case engraved to  H. Prose Walker signed by
Arthurs Collins dated August 26, 1961.  The custom case is a beautiful
crafted wood with special cut outs for all the 1.8 - 30Mhz S-line crystals
providing continuous coverage.  If anyone wants to see a picture of this,
drop me a note.

Here's a brief bio on Prose Walker's passing in 2002 but you can find lots
more by Google.

"NEWINGTON, CT, Sep 26, 2002-- Former FCC official A. Prose Walker, W4BW,
the man some consider the godfather of the so-called "WARC bands"--30, 17
and 12 meters--died August 8 following a brief illness. He was 92. Word of
his death reached ARRL Headquarters this month.

Walker, who headed the FCC Amateur and Citizens Division from 1971 until
1975, made the initial proposal for three new amateur allocations at 10, 18
and 24 MHz during an International Amateur Radio Club (4U1ITU) meeting in
Geneva in 1972. Later, he organized and chaired the US preparatory committee
for the Amateur Service--the Advisory Committee of Amateur Radio--which took
the initial steps to turn the idea into reality at the 1979 World
Administrative Radio Conference. The committee also included former ARRL
General Manager Richard L. Baldwin, W1RU, who said this week that he was
greatly saddened to learn of Walker's passing.

"One of my fondest memories of WARC 79 was the pleasure and the challenge of
working with Prose in preparing for that conference," Baldwin said. "He was
a stalwart supporter of the Amateur Service, and few amateurs realize how
very much they owe to him. May he rest in peace."

Walker's most recent recognition came at Dayton Hamvention 2000, when he was
recognized with a special achievement award, an honor his daughter, Helen
Herman, said he coveted among many other more prestigious awards. The award
recognized his work in obtaining the new amateur allocations at 10, 18 and
24 MHz more than two decades earlier.

An ARRL Life Member and a licensee since the 1920s, Walker was an
enthusiastic amateur who remained quite active on the air until shortly
before his death. Only a few months before he died, he bought a new ICOM
IC-756PROII transceiver and reveled in becoming acquainted with its many
features. Walker's favorite operating mode was CW, and he was a frequent
visitor on the bands he'd helped to create.

Hospitalized or in rehabilitation facilities during all of July and part of
August, he remained eager to get back home and on the air. "He wouldn't wait
to get home and get on that ham radio," his daughter said.

A native of Ohio, Walker earned his bachelor's degree from Denison
University. He later did graduate work at Ohio State. Over the years,
Walker's career took a number of turns, including a stint as a high school
science and mathematics teacher, but his primary contributions were in the
fields of communications and engineering. During World War II, he served
with the FCC Radio Intelligence Division, supervising the Radio Security
Center in Hawaii.

Walker then went on to serve as chief of the Investigative Branch in the
FCC's Radio Intelligence Division. Later, he headed the FCC's Allocations
Branch and co-authored the CONELRAD emergency broadcast plan.

Walker left the FCC in 1953 to become director of engineering for the
National Association of Broadcasters. He served with the NAB until 1961.
During his tenure, he was editor-in-chief and author of portions of the NAB
Engineering Handbook, published in 1960.

Collins Radio Company beckoned in 1961, where he headed up the Amateur Radio
engineering development department and was involved in broadcast radio
equipment development. He also befriended Collins founder and president Art
Collins, W0CXX, and had a role in the development of FM stereo."

73 Jerry
K1JOS