Re: {Collins} d104

James,

I am using the Heil D104 conversion kit which uses the HC-5 element. I am not happy with it. While not horrible, the audio has too much bass in it and sounds muffled. Everyone I've talked with prefers the standard D104 by far on both my S-line and A-line. The Heil replacement is a low impedance element, so you have to use a transformer with it to drive any of the Collins equipment.  I couldn't find another replacement element in production so I ended up buying an extra D104 in order to get one with a  working element.  If you find a replacement element you like, please post the info. I'd like to know about it.

73,

Ora
W9DJ