Re: {Collins} another KWM2 question

Hi Bob.  Well, I do not blame you for shutting it off right away.  But - you
maybe reacted too soon.
First, check the fuse in the 516F-2 and make sure it is 5 amp fuse or maybe
4 amp.  This is always a great idea because people do really strange things
with fuses - and it is NOT good.
Second, set the rig up - mic unplugged and in LSB or USB and carrier/mic
control full CCW, meter in plate (this will really be looking at the S-Meter
circuit in Receive).
Plug the rig into a power strip having a power switch on it, turn the power
strip off and plug in the power strip.  With the power switch off on the
power strip, turn on the KWM-2 (I will explain all this) and then - after
reading the rest of this - turn on the power strip which will apply power to
the 516F-2/KWM-2.
It is very normal on an M-2 for a couple of things to happen. The T/R relay
may key, which you will hear and also the S-Meter/Plate meter will probably
go all the way to the right and stay there for a moment. Within a couple of
seconds - or less - it should come back rather lazy like to read the S-Meter
and the T/R relay will have clicked back out.
You may have reacted so fast that it did not get a chance to warm up and act
normally.

The power strip deal is because there was a slight design boo boo on the
S-Line.  They used a 3 amp max rated switch on a circuit that pulls peak up
to over 4 amps.  They are failing and they are not replaceable  - so best to
leave it on and not use it.  Use a power strip to turn it on and off - most
folks do - or they should.

OK, do all that and let me know what happens. And, if you have not read the
manual cover to cover, do that.  :-)

Regards
Bill
Bill Carns, N7OTQ (Trustee K0CXX)
Past President, Collins Collectors Association
Founding Board, Collins Radio Heritage Group
Editor, Signal Magazine (Retired)
Wimberley, TX
512 618 2762  (Cell)
512 847 7010  (Home)