Re: {Collins} KWM-2A WE

I experienced this same problem some time back when I was learning how to align (or more to the point, how not to align) a Collins transmitter.

I connected a VOM to the RCA jack on my Heathkit “cantenna”.  The output from the transmitter is connected to the SO-239 jack.

I set my VOM to the millivolt range and began the alignment procedure.  It is found on page 4-9 of the KWM-2/2A Instruction book, 8th edition dated Oct 15, 1971.  Set the trimmer capacitors exactly as instructed.

A very faint sign of output can be observed this way.  Once you see it, you can peak the capacitor to get the output to register on the S-meter.  Then it’s all downhill to getting a robust signal output.

I brought a 32S-3A boat anchor back to life this way.  It’s amazing what a tiny adjustment can do (or undo)!

Sent from my iPhone

Dexter