Re: {Collins} 75s1 power connector help

Replacing that connector is one of the least fun repair jobs on a Collins radio. I’ve done it maybe 5 times and hated it every time.

Clearing the hole where the old pin broke off with a drill that is slightly smaller than the outer diameter of the center pin really helps.

If you can find a counterbore bit, that will flatten the surface of the plug where the break most likely left an uneven surface.

What I do is put the replacement center pin into my lathe and turn the OD at the wafer point down a few mils to make a nice round surface to insert (with a moderately tight fit) into the hole I made on the wafer.

You can do the same thing by putting the new pin into the chuck of a hand drill and using a file to “machine” the replacement to fit the cleanly drilled hole in the plug wafer.

I tap the ID of the pin, I think a 6-32 or 8-32 does it. Then I put some slow setting glue into the ID of the replacement pin (which is tapped at this point) and use a proper screw, about 3/8 long, to pull the new pin loosely into place with the connector wafer. I then rotate the pin to approximately locate it, then put an 11 pin female connector into place on the connector to be sure it’s right. I then tighten the screw fully and let the glue set up with the 11 pin female connector in place to ensure everything stays put.

This repair makes for a new plug that is 100 times more robust than the factory original, with a LOT less work than replacing the whole connector.

Gary